The City of Norwich, New York, Business Improvement District operates under the rules set forth by the state statute.
All businesses located within the BID District are required to pay a special annual assessment of 0.025% of the assess value as shown on the latest assessment roll from the City of Norwich Tax & Finance Office.
The Norwich BID is authorized to perform the following:
- (a) Provide for the district improvements located on or within municipally or district owned or leased property which will restore or promote business activity in the district:
- construction and installation of landscaping, planting and park areas;
- construction of lighting and heating facilities;
- construction of physically aesthetic and decorative safety fixtures, equipment and facilities;
- construction of improvements to enhance security of persons and property within the district;
- construction of pedestrian overpasses and underpasses and connections between buildings;
- closing, opening, widening or narrowing of existing streets;
- construction of ramps, sidewalks, plazas and pedestrian malls;
- rehabilitation or removal of existing structures as required;
- removal and relocation of utilities and vaults as required;
- construction of parking lot and parking garage facilities; and
- construction of fixtures, equipment, facilities and appurtenances as may enhance the movement, convenience and enjoyment of the public and be of economic benefit to surrounding properties such as: bus stop shelters: benches and street furniture; booths, kiosks, display cases and exhibits; signs; receptacles; canopies; pedestrian shelters and fountains.
- (b) provide for the operation and maintenance of any district improvements;
- (c) provide for additional maintenance or other additional services required for the enjoyment and protection of the public and the promotion and enhancement of the district whether or not in conjunction with improvements authorized by the section, including:
- enhanced sanitation services;
- services promoting and advertising activities within the district;
- marketing education for businesses within the district;
- decorations and lighting for seasonal and holiday purposes; and
- services to enhance the security of persons and property within the district
- (d) enter into contracts to provide for the construction of accessibility improvements adjacent to public areas by businesses within the district which will increase access from public areas to such businesses for persons with disabilities and the general public and assist businesses in meeting requirements for removal or architectural barriers in existing facilities, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended (P.L. 101-336).